Juniper Berries 110 g Royal Command
It may remind you of rosemary but the taste of Juniper Berries is more resinous, piney and with citrus overtones. Juniper is the essential flavouring in gin and is much loved in Scandinavian cooking where it is used to flavour cures and brines for gravlax, to braise vegetables such as cabbage, and in marinades and sauces for wild game meats such as venison and elk. Juniper berries are used to flavour brines for curing pork and hams and in the Alsatian dish Choucroute Garnis.
- BERRIES USED AS A SPICE – Berries that aren’t.. Berries? Juniper berries are female seed cones which come from juniper plants, a type of conifer. Their uniquely fleshy, merged scales make them look like a berry - thus the name. Juniper berries are also not a berry you would eat with breakfast, instead they’re often used as a bitter spice.
- UNIQUE HEALTH BENEFITS: Juniper Berries are known for their heart healthy properties and have been used since ancient times. The Berries are said to be a naturally powerful antiseptic and has been used as a detoxifying agent promoting healthy digestion and leaving skin feeling healthy and rejuvenated
- INCREDIBLE FLAVOR – Since Juniper Berries are used less like a berry and more like a spice, they’re known for providing a unique flavour profile which in fact is quite bitter and rich with a deep taste. For the most pungent flavour, crush these fresh Juniper Berries before using them in a sauce or marinade.
- A TRUE GIN & TONIC – If you’ve ever wondered what gives gin its distinctive flavour, you now know - Juniper Berries! I surprising way to use these berries is as part of a classic gin & tonic cocktail. Combine 1 lime wheel, 1 strip lemon zest, 1 verbena leaf, 3 juniper berries & a large ice cube in a goblet. Add 1.5 oz gin & 3 oz tonic water, stir & serve!
- USAGE IDEAS – Juniper Berries are spicy and aromatic, often used to add flavour to casseroles, marinades and stuffings. Juniper Berries compliment specific meats such as Pork, Rabbit, Venison, Beef, and Duck. You can also add this to sweet dishes like fruitcake.