Gum Locust Bean 50 g Texturestar
From the seeds of the carob tree, this is a fine white powder. Locust Bean Gum is a thickening and gelling agent that is soluble in cold or hot water. It has a neutral flavour and requires synergy with another ingredient to be functional; agar, kappa carrageenan, methyl cellulose, konjac or xanthan gum. With xanthan gum (to create elastic gels) and agar or kappa carrageenan to give strength and elasticity. It is not freeze-thaw stable. Retards ice crystal formation in frozen products. Usage level is 0.5-1%
Gum Locust Bean
- THICKENING AND GELLING AGENT – Locust bean gum is a thickening and gelling agent that is soluble in cold or hot water. It can be used for many uses such as a stabilization agent in ice cream to prevent ice crystal formation, or as a thickener in salad dressing.
- HOW IT’S MADE – Locust bean gum is a vegetable gum extracted from the seeds of the carob tree, native to the Mediterranean. The seeds are inside of pods that grow on the tree, which are kibbled to separate the seeds. Acid treatment removes the skin off the seeds. The skinless seeds are subsequently split and crushed. This allows the germ and endosperm to separate via sieving. Once separate, the endosperm is milled again, this time by a roller which produces the final locust bean gum powder.
- HOW TO USE – Locust bean gum requires synergy with another ingredient to be functional; agar, kappa carrageenan, methyl cellulose, konjac or xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is used to create elastic gels, agar or kappa carrageenan to give strength and elasticity, and guar gum to create a thicker gel.
- ONE QUALITY INGREDIENT – Our Locust Bean Gum only has one ingredient: locust bean gum. This makes it so that you can be confident that there are no preservatives/additives or extra ingredients that you didn’t sign up for. Vegan and vegetarian friendly.
- NATURALLY GLUTEN-FREE – Apart from being vegan and vegetarian friendly, locust bean gum is naturally gluten-free, making it an accessible ingredient for a wide range of diets.